Orissa submits status report on Posco to Centre

Responding to the query of the Union mines ministry, the state government has submitted the status report on the proposed Rs 52,000-crore Posco project in Jagatsingpur district to the Centre.

The report on the status of the Posco project, as sought by the Centre, has been submitted by the state steel and mines department.

The report contains latest information on the progress of land acquisition, diversion of forest land and number of families displaced, besides others, have been mentioned in the report, said state Chief Secretary BK Patnaik.

It may be noted that the Union mines ministry, in a letter on December 29, had asked the state government to submit the status report on the Posco project.

On resumption of construction work at the project site, Patnaik said, “we have not received the ground report from the district administration where the construction work on the coastal road has been halted”.

He said, “we are expecting the report from the district administration by early next week following which the decision on resumption of work at the site will be taken”.

The state government in its report had claimed that 2,000 acres of land has so far been acquired, sources said adding that of the total 3719 acres land required for setting up of the steel plant, only 10 per cent land belonged to private persons.

It may be noted that the work on the coastal road leading to the project site, which had taken off on December 14, has been halted after a violent incident broke out due to the clash between the supporters and opponents of the Posco project, resulting in the death of one person besides injuring 25 others.

[Source – Business Standard]

Comments are closed.